Disclaimer: I am not a cook. Matter of fact, I suck at cooking. This is me trying my hands at something and offering it to you to do as you please. However, I won’t post a recipe unless it tastes good, promise!
I was recently told by my gastroenterologist that I was “very tall for my height” (aka “you’re fat”). Then he proceeded to put me on a diet that restricted my daily carb intake to 30g. I’m still trying to come up with a title that excludes the word “diet” since we don’t really get along. But, here I am, finally attempting the whole low carb thing three weeks later. First up, breakfast.
I have to admit that I struggled with the idea of not being able to quickly make a bagel, cream cheese, and avocado sandwich in the mornings. Also, what is egg and bacon without the toast?! Apparently still breakfast…
Low Carb Spinach and Sausage Breakfast
2 Breakfast Sausages
Half a bag of Spinach (or 4 oz)
Shredded Cheese (I used Mexican Style)
1/4 cup of yellow onion
Salt and Pepper for taste
1 Tbsp of Butter
1. Add sausage to heated pan (set to medium heat).
2. While the sausage is doing it’s thing, cut up your onion and tomatoes.
3. Add onion to pan after about 5 minutes (or when it’s halfway to being fully cooked).
4. Once the onion pieces are transparent, add your spinach and tomatoes.
5. Cover pan, but be sure to go back occasionally to stir/fold. *This is where you’d add your salt and pepper if you chose that route*
6. In the mean time mix your eggs and cheese together. I used a fork since I don’t have a whisk. It does pretty much the same thing in this case.
7. Be sure to continously check on your spinach. For some, it may only take two minutes for it to be considered done. I like mine completely wilted. It’s really up to you.
8. Once your spinach and sausage is finished, transfer it to a plate.
9. Rinse and dry the pan.
10. Add Butter.
11. Once butter is melted, add your eggs.
12. Scramble and you’re done.
This was absolutely delicious and waaaaay too much. Next time I’ll reduce the amount of spinach and leave it at one egg.
*To reduce the carb amount, withhold the tomatoes.
*You could also withhold the cheese and try a sausage with lower calories for a “healthier” option. Veggie sausage for a vegetarian option.